Updated List of Current Affairs: 16 April -30 April
- A joint declaration on a Sweden-India Innovation Partnership for a Sustainable Future was issued after India and Sweden agreed upon a joint action plan after talk held between Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Stefan Lofven, in Stockholm.
- Britain and India agree to forge a new India-U.K. Trade partnership after talks between Prime Ministers Theresa May and Narendra Modi in London.
- The fax dispute involving Nokia under the Mutual Agreement Procedure system was resolved by India and Finland
- An urge was made by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to put sustainable development and climate change, particularly of small island states, at the heart of Commonwealth agenda, while addressing the 25th Commonwealth Heads of Government summit in London.
- An impeachment motion was moved against the CJI Dipak Misra on grounds of ” misbehavior” and level five charges against him by the Congress and six other Opposition parties in the Rajya Sabha.
- The Madras High Court becomes the first court in south India and eighth in the country to introduce e-court fee payment facility.
- The promulgation of the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance was approved by the Union Cabinet providing for death penalty for rapists of girls below 12 years.
8 The Union Cabinet gives its nod on the Fugitive Economic Offenders Ordinance, 2018, that empowers the government to seize the domestic assets of those so deemed by a court.
9 Athe end of the five-day 22nd Party Congress held in Hyderabad, SitaramYechury was re-elected CPI (M) general secretary for a second term. A new 17-member Polit Bureau and a 95-member Central Committee have also been commenced.
10The impeachment motion against CJI Dipak Misra was rejected by RajyaSabha Chairman, M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- After Reliance Industries Limited, Tata Consultancy Services becomes the second Indian firm to cross the $100 billion mark in market capitalization.
12 The diversion of 77 hectares of forest land for the Rs 1.08 lakh crore bullet train project between Mumbai and Ahmedabad has been granted approval by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
13 A paddy field in Thanjavur district, Tamil Nadu was damaged by another oil leak from an ONGC pipeline even after the sit-in protest by Kadiramangalam residents enters the 344th day.
- By taking an oath as Supreme Court Judge Indu Malhotra becomes the first woman judge to be appointed to the top post directly from the bar.
1.The New York Times and The New Yorker magazine has been chosen for the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, for their revelations of sexual harassment.
2Move to scrap ownership limits on foreign carmakers was announced by China.
3Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), NASA’s planet-hunting spacecraft and a $ 337 million satellite, blasts off from Cape Canaveral, Florida on board a SpaceX rocket.
- After being elected in a landmark vote of the National Assembly of Cuba, Miguel Mario Diaz-Canel Bermudez sworn in as Cuba’s President by replacing Raul Castro.
- The UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize has been awarded to the Jailed Egyptian photographer Abu Zied.
- The International Prize for Arabic Fiction has been awarded to JordanianPalestiniann writer Ibrahim Nasrallah for his novel ‘The Second War of the Dog’, set in a dystopian future society, at a ceremony heldin Abu Dhabi, the capital city of UAE
- Europe’s Gaia satellite has produced a 3-D map of more than a billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, andthe map was launched in Germany.
8 The Islamabad High Court Pakistan has disqualified Foreign Minister Khawaja Mohammad Asif from holding office for concealing assets abroad from tax authorities
- Mike Pompeohas been selected to be appointed as the Secretary of State by the U.S. Senate.
10 After a historic summit in the peace village of Panmunjom North Korean President Kim Jong-un and his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in pledge to work for the complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
- Chinese President Xi Jinping after having talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Wuhan, China said that China and India are both important engines for global growth.
- An Order of Merit award has been posthumously awarded to Peter Norman, a record-holding sprinter, who supported American track stars Tommie Smith and John Carlos in their famous Black Power salute at the 1968 Mexico Olympics by the Australian Olympic Committee
- Sajid Javid, a South Asia has been appointed as the British Home Secretary after the resignation of Amber Rudd.